Special visits to the maintenance site of Piero della Francesca’s Legend of the True Cross. On the occasion of maintenance and conservation overhaul work on the celebrated cycle of wall paintings, the scaffolding will be accessible for small groups of visitors.
Following maintenance and conservation overhaul works by the Regional Directorate of Tuscany Museums, the directorate has decided to set up an accessible scaffold that will offer, for small groups of visitors, the exceptional opportunity to admire the cycle of wall paintings from an absolutely different and original perspective.
Alongside the Arezzo Intour Foundation, which oversees the museum services of the state museums in Arezzo, special guided tours have been organized. These tours will be led by appropriately trained staff from the Regional Directorate of Museums of Tuscany and will last approximately one hour.
The Legend of the True Cross, created by the artist in a period between 1452 and 1466, presents a series of episodes from the Legenda Aurea by the Dominican friar Jacopo da Varagine, a collection of lives of saints and explanations of liturgical feasts, written from the 1260s onward and widely diffused throughout the Middle Ages.
The scenes, set in three levels on the walls of the Bacci Chapel, tell the story of the Cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified, beginning with the birth of the tree whose wood the Cross was made from. The episodes depicted by Piero are not connected according to chronological succession but by formal and symbolic relationships and are characterized by a careful perspective vision.
The site will also include the restoration of the large painted Cross, dating from the eighth-ninth decade of the 13th century and attributed to an Umbrian painter conventionally known as the Master of St. Francis; and of the stained-glass mullioned window, with the provision of a newly designed external protective glazing.
Regular / € 35,00 (€ 27,00 + € 8,00 pre-sale fee)
Reduced / € 10,00 (€ 2,00 + € 8,00 pre-sale fee)
Free admission (+ € 8,00 pre-sale fee)
Reservation is compulsory and is made at the time of ticket purchase
Basilica di San Francesco
Via di San Francesco
DISCOUNTS, REDUCTIONS AND GROUPS
See who is entitled to reduced-price tickets or free admission, read the specifications on admission for individuals and groups
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF PURCHASE
Read the conditions of purchase, right of withdrawal, possible refunds
• With the purchase of the ticket, the visitor is entitled, by showing this ticket at the individual ticket offices, to also access the other state museums in Arezzo (Museum of Medieval and Modern Art, Gaio Cilnio Mecenate Archaeological Museum, and Vasari House Museum). The validity of the ticket is 72 hours from the day of the visit to the Basilica of San Francesco.
• The availability calendar for dates and times to purchase a ticket or book an introductory guided tour to the Chapel will be updated periodically in relation to the restoration works and may undergo changes, as ongoing works may require extraordinary closures or unforeseen reductions in opening hours.
• Entrance is prohibited to minors under the age of 12.
• Youths aged between 12 and under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Visits to the Bacci Chapel and the Legend of the True Cross by Piero della Francesca are exclusively by reservation for small groups of visitors for each session lasting a total of 60 minutes (6 people per session during the week and 10 people per session on weekends).
• Appropriate clothing is required to enter the Basilica, with shoulders and legs covered up to knee height. Animals, food and drink are also not allowed. Proper silence and respect for the place and the people who are there to pray is required in the Basilica.
• The ticket office closes 60 minutes before the museum closes.
Ticket office contacts:
(+39) 0575 1696258
Information request form:
To receive personalized information about the visit, click here
– TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT –
January 27 to March 12, 2024
(€ 27,00 + € 8,00 commission fee)
(€ 2,00 + € 8,00 commission fee)
Free admission (+ € 8,00 commission fee)
All those who are entitled to free access must fill out the following form, click here
Monday to Friday / 14:00 – 18:00
Saturday / 9:00 – 18:00
Sunday / 13:00 – 18:00
Last admission 60 minutes before closing time
Basilica of St. Francis
Via di San Francesco